I did it!
I did what I thought I would be impossible: a 3 day juice cleanse. I purchased juices from a juice press called the Squeeze, opposed to doing it the DIY way. I can honestly say that doing a cleanse was easier than I thought it would be! You can definitely do it. I had 5 varieties of juices per day, which included green and mixed pressed juices and raw milks.
How did I feel?
First off, I started the cleanse right after Valentines Day (friday) which was good and bad. I felt icky on Saturday morning, so I was eager to get juice in my system! The juice definitely helped get rid of all that excess sugar!
Several juices had aloe in them which made my skin feel soft! I also didn't notice new acne pop up during the cleanse.
I still had energy! I felt like I was starving myself, but I still had enough energy to go shopping and do normal weekend activities. I got some extra sleep too.
I felt empty inside, and that was a nice feeling.
What did I learn about myself?
- I hate juiced cucumbers. I wish I knew that beforehand so I didn't get so many cucumber saturated juices.
- I need to always be prepared and think ahead. On Sunday, I spent all day (10 to 5 pm) with church friends in Brooklyn, but I only brought 2 juices! I got really hungry and felt a little weak. I also fell behind on the juicing schedule which was unfortunate; At least I was having a good time. Next time (if there is a next time), I'll bring a couple extra juices when I go places.
- I have self-control! :) Even when I was tempted by some super yummy food, I said no each time. It's liberating to know that I have the power to say no.
What to consider if you want to cleanse
- Headaches? When I was picking up the juices the lady warned me that it would be very hard if I was a coffee drinker. Thankfully, I am not an avid coffee drinker so I didn't experience any withdrawal from caffeine while doing the cleanse. If you are a coffee drinker, be aware of the pain and headaches that you might experience!
- I touched on this a little, but be aware about what veggies you like and don't like. Drinking the juices is already hard and if cucumbers make you gag, you might as well avoid ordering cucumber juices. Right?
- Look on Groupon! My cleanse cost $119 on Groupon, which is very affordable in the juice cleansing world. Most of the 3 day cleanses I looked at cost $180 without a groupon. Juicing is very popular in New York, so if you live here you should have no problem finding a juice press you like!
Want more? Read my preparation post.
Do you think you'll do a juice cleanse? Have you done one? What was it like?