Of transportation and getting around

Sunday, August 11, 2013

I'm presently on the subway. I don't have reception, but I can still type. I really enjoy subway rides. They are quiet, quick, and different from what I'm used to. Oh and they have A/C-- which feels glorious. The occasional bumps, jerks, and dark tunnels sometimes makes it like I'm  on an amusement park ride. I never know when a subway will be full to the brim or when it will be empty enough to take a nap on the seats. Rest assured I won't be lying around on a subway bench. 
Now what's even more exciting than the subway ride is the walk to the subway. The walk from my apartment to the nearest subway line is 3 blocks. A lot can happen in 3 blocks. During my walk home from church today a creepy guy blew a kiss and then winked at me. Some other guy yelled, "hey sweetie, what's your name?" A few other city year friends live in our neighborhood and they are white. I bring this up because the other day they were walking and a man yells "why are there so many f---- white people here?!" Well sir, there are 4 of us. I'm sure you will manage. Does this stuff phase me? No. There are police officers standing on every block and there are so many people around. What's the worse that could happen? I don't walk around alone at night and I walk with confidence during the day time. 
There are so many stores and shops in East Harlem and people walk around everywhere. I'm starting to like this place. I loved New York initially, but I wasn't sure how I would feel about East Harlem. For now it is "my hood."


1 comment :

  1. Abby,
    Praying God uses you in NYC and that you see people there as Christ does. I am praying for your safety and wise choices.
    Call me if you need anything.
    Love you,
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi pixel perfect web designs