Updates

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

I found out the other day where I will be serving in New York City.
It's not where I expected, but that's okay. It really is.
the BRONX!
I don't know much about the Bronx, and I really didn't think I would be placed there, but hey, this whole journey has been full of surprises. I started looking through this handy little New York book that my friend Leah gave to me, and this was the first thing I read about the Bronx: "Once a prosperous suburb..lined with apartment buildings for the wealthy, the Bronx has now become an unfortunate symbol of urban decay." mmhmm.
Here's a map of NYC to put things in perspective. I will be serving in the bottom area of the Bronx (close to Manhattan)....right in the red zone, aka the "danger zone".
Don't panic, Grandma!
I was scared about this for like a second, but now I'm excited for the challenge. I'm not too concerned about my safety either. I just need to be smart. I was also worried about this for a minute, because I really wanted to be in Brooklyn in order to be close to the church plant in Greenpoint (Greenpoint is that nice little blue tip on the edge of Queens and close to Manhattan. Now I just have to get used to the idea of a long commute. My admissions counselor is constantly reminding us to expect long commutes (45+ minutes) because that is normal New York City life. 
Where will I live? TBD. It's a difficult search, but I'm making progress.  
I'm excited to see how this pans out. 1 month away!

2 comments :

  1. Abby, I am so excited that you will be loving on people in the Bronx! We are here to support you every step of the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm glad that you've actually looked at that book :) And yes, expect long commutes... they're bad enough in Boston, and I imagine New York is much worse.

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi pixel perfect web designs