Things men say

Saturday, October 19, 2013

I stick out in Spanish Harlem. It's never boring living here. I have never felt unsafe or in danger, but there are odd and annoying things that happen in my neighborhood. I'm usually woken up by a car alarm at 3 in the morning. Someone in the area must be a crazy cat lady because I frequently see a herd of cats in the back yard area, and I am also startled by cat fights (literal cat fights). Nearly every time I walk from my apartment to the Subway someone will say something to me. That someone is usually a strange man. Most of the time I get a little chuckle out of the things they call out, but at the same time it's a bit creepy. Below are things they say and my internal response. 

Hey, can I do laundry with you? (walking faster...with my basket laundry)
Hey there Snow White (Me? snow white? oh dear. They should come to MN and see what true snow white is)
Hey, what's your name? Chistina? Agulara? (drunk?)
Hey Mami! or Hey Baby! (I get called Mami a lot.)
Can I get your number? (no) 
Would you like some candy? (running)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi pixel perfect web designs